Retox

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Retox

Postby Blue shirt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:34 pm

Is it morally right to detox offenders then retox prior to discharge?
Blue shirt

Re: Retox

Postby Officer » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:04 pm

We have a duty of care towards them...

Unforuntatley it is as simple as that
Officer

Postby Blue shirt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:12 pm

We are also supposed to help them lead law abiding lives in custody and after release! Surely letting out addicts generates crime. How much does IDTS cost?
Blue shirt

Postby ZzoL » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 pm

Officer wrote:We have a duty of care towards them...

Unforuntatley it is as simple as that

by allowing and supporting there drug habit that is destroying there lives and forcing them to crime i would argue we are failing that duty. we are also failing to protect the public by keeping them addicted.

my parents had a duty of care over me when i was a kid, didn't mean i was allowed to do drugs.
ZzoL
Committee Member
Committee Member

Member No: 5626
Style: prosilver

Postby Blue shirt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:22 pm

I sometimes think it's just a gravy train for agencies and suppliers. I might be getting on a bit but I remember working in a very large local prison in London and one nurse doing evening meds holding a tray!! What have we created?
Blue shirt

Postby Dino » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Blue shirt wrote:How much does IDTS cost?

£110,000,000 this year.
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf - George Orwell
Dino
Executive Member
Executive Member

Member No: 4898

Postby Blue shirt » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:53 pm

And Big Brother is always watching.
Blue shirt

Postby bungle » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:36 pm

At our place there is no detox...Methodone is maintained and there is no such thing as reducing unless the prisoner has a full on row with the HCC.
HCC just allow them to stay on or increase their doseage..If they have a need for pain relief, IE, have teeth out or an operation then they put them on Methodone for 5 days instead of treating them properly with appropriate pain relief. :slex:
There are prisoners within my estae that have been on meth for 4years plus!!! :slRA2:
bungle
Official Member
Official Member

Member No: 4728
Sacred: 'Mage'

Postby turnscrew » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:55 pm

Yes of course it is morally wrong. There are absolutely no consequences to the heartache and suffering inflicted on families, victims and society in general by these individuals. When they arrive at prison they are bombarded by a whole army of doctors, nurses, carat workers, sdp courses they are prescribed methadone, subutex,diazepam, sleepers etc.. etc...they are detoxed, retoxed and maintained. Everything is done to ensure these people don't have to suffer the slightest discomfort. When Mr Addict has served his 2 months for theft he is back on the streets straight to his dealer and so the cycle goes on.
When will politicians wake-up and stop frittering away taxpayers hard earned money on this totally futile and expensive exercise.
turnscrew
Official Member
Official Member

Member No: 7134

Postby Blue shirt » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:05 pm

Surely releasing prisoners drug free should be one of our objectives the rest is up to them. Just because they are on license and technicaly still in our care should not be a reason to maintain them.
Blue shirt

Postby Carbon » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:12 am

When they are on licence they are not the responsibility of the prison service, they are the responsibility of the probation service.
Carbon
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 15
Style: subsilver2
Examiner: XIII

Return to Front Door