Five prison officers have been suspended @ Belmarsh

high profile stories and issues for Prison Officers

Moderator: Chryo

Five prison officers have been suspended @ Belmarsh

Postby falkor » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 am

Five prison officers suspended after Woolwich suspect claims he was targeted
Five prison officers have been suspended after an incident involving one of the men suspected of murdering soldier Lee Rigby
By Alice Philipson 11:39PM BST 19 Jul 2013
The officers have been sent home on full pay and cannot work at Belmarsh high security prison or any other jail following the struggle with Michael Adebolajo, 28, on Wednesday.

The five men deny they assaulted Adebolajo, who is understood to have lost two teeth while being restrained at the prison in southeast London.

Adebolajo, who is on remand charged with the murder of Drummer Rigby; is said to have claimed he was “targeted” by prison officers at the jail.

Peter McParlin, the national chairman of the Prison Officers’ Association, said the Ministry of Justice had “let the staff down” over the incident.

He told The Times he had spoken to the officers involved and they insisted they had done nothing wrong.
falkor
Navigator
Navigator

Alignment: 'Shade'

Re: Five prison officers have been suspended @ Belmarsh

Postby GAOLGUARD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:34 pm

Never heard of suspensions like this, if POA believe in these members being innocent, and it will undoubtedly be covered with CCTV they should be knocking the door down of the hierarchy and demanding to know what the hell is going on!
GAOLGUARD
Committee Member
Committee Member

Member No: 5123
Style: prosilver

Postby Wyer » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:19 pm

If the staff have done nothing wrong, I fully expect us to 'fight' for them!
I'm pre-pared to give up a days pay!
Wyer
Navigator
Navigator

Member No: 6243

Postby old sweat » Sun Jul 21, 2013 6:11 pm

Unless the officers in question decided to beat the crap out of this poor misjudged religious man and the CCTV proves this, then I'm sure the police will find that no assault took place and the force used was justified. Don't forget the Met police who will investigate this incident themselves shot the man a number of times and the force used there- a touch more than the prison officers used- was legal and justified.

The problem I think could happen is senior managers deciding that the force used was not justified and that the officers could well be disciplined.

At the end of the day if the POA are happy nothing wrong took place then we should all be.
old sweat
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 4183
Sacred: 'Warrior'

Postby GAOLGUARD » Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 pm

There are alternatives to suspension and these could have been used until the police gave them the all clear, it's too heavy handed for me!
GAOLGUARD
Committee Member
Committee Member

Member No: 5123

Postby kristorf » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Possible typical NOMS/SMT kneejerk reaction to a high profile story, suspend first, ask questions later???
kristorf
Elite Member
Elite Member

Member No: 5814
Style: subsilver2

Postby HBP » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:38 am

Wyer wrote:If the staff have done nothing wrong, I fully expect us to 'fight' for them!
I'm pre-pared to give up a days pay!

and me :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl: :slcl:
HBP
Registered Member
Registered Member

Member No: 7588
Style: Aero

Postby atobop » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:43 pm

This is normal activity from an incarcerated homegrown affiliate of AQ. They are instructed by the Manchester Manual to claim to courts that they have been mistreated while incarcerated. Hope the officers are still in paid status while the investigation is completed and that fortune goes in their favor.
"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." --------Winston Churchill
atobop
Registered Member
Registered Member

Member No: 7792
Style: Absolution
Sacred: 'Ranger'

• Threads Bundle on Prison Officer.Org.UK

Return to Front Door